Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Kool Aid Dye

I was wandering online a while back and came across an idea for dyeing yarn by using Kool Aid. I happened to be bored one night, and decided to try this out. I used Kroy Socks yarn.

Essentially what you do is break the yarn up into a skein (take it out of ball form into loosey-goosey form) and then decide what color you want to make it. For this particular experiment, I decided to try three colors for a fun, fruity yarn.

The purple is from Grape, the red from Strawberry, and the orange from Orange.

I wish I had pictures of the process, but sadly I only have the results. After about a half hour of microwave zapping of the yarn immersed in Kool-Aid powder/water mix, the last particles of the Kool-Aid disappeared from the water and into the yarn.

The strawberry came out the best, I think.

For anyone interested in doing self-dyeing, I'd really recommend trying this. It is SO cool!


Newly dyed yarn hanging on the drying rack.


Dyed yarn results.

No comments:

Post a Comment